I ate my first plate of Momos when I was 7 years old. But now most of the children have the privilege of having momos whenever they want. It was not the case when I was a child. I have a memory of making Momos at home at Dashain vacation and eat the whole family together. We usually make it with potatoes and sometimes with cabbage or mutton. With the same memories in my mind, I tried making momos after a long time. Today I am going to share the recipe of chicken Momos but we can vary the stuffing as per our convenience.
Minced Chicken 400 gm
Spring onion 1 cup
Onion 1 medium size
Ginger/ Garlic paste 1 tablespoon
Green chili 2-3 (or as per your taste)
Cabbage 1 cup (finely chopped)
Oil 2-3 tablespoon
Black Pepper 1 teaspoon
Red chili powder 1 teaspoon
Coriander and cumin powder 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala 1/2 teaspoon
All-Purpose flour 2 cups
Water to knead
Momo Achar/dipping Ingredients:
Tomatoes 4 medium
Peanuts 2-3 tablespoon
Sesame seeds 2-3 tablespoon
Szechwan pepper 7-8
Green Chili 2-3 ( as per your taste)
Garlic 2-3 cloves
Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
Oil 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon (optional if you like the red color of dipping)
Salt As per your taste
1. Knead a soft dough from all-purpose flour and set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Mix all the ingredients and spices mentioned above and prepare stuffing for Momo.
3. Now roll small flat-bread one by one or make a big flat-bread. Then cut it with a circular bowl or glass to make small flat-breads (this method saves a lot of time and energy).
4. The most difficult part starts here, wrapping the Momo. take one wrapper, put a spoon-full of spices mixed minced Chicken, and then wrap around to make a ball shape. There is no hard and fast rule for the shape of Momo, you can make shapes as per your need.
5. Put Steamer along with water half filled in the stove and let it boil. Once the water starts boiling put upper parts of the steamer filled with Momo on top of it. Let them cook for 20 minutes.
While Momo are cooking let's prepare it's dipping. Which plays the main role in the whole recipe. I think you have noticed as well, how good your Momo are but without a good dipping, their taste becomes fade.
Recipe for making Momo Achar/dipping:
1. Heat pan and roast peanuts, sesame seeds, and Szechwan pepper. Roast them until peanuts cover starts separating and sesame stats splitting. You can roast them all together as well.
2. Keep roasted nuts and seeds in a bowl and let it cool. In the same pan pour oil, let it heat and then add cumin seeds and fry until they start splitting.
3. Add roughly chopped garlic and cook them until light brown.
4. Add tomatoes, salt, turmeric, and let them cook until tomatoes become soft. Add water if you need it.
5. When tomatoes are cooked, let them cool and grind them along with the roasted nuts and sesame seeds. Make a fine paste add water if the dipping is too thick.
Delicious MOMOs are ready and you can enjoy yourself with your friends and family.
Stay healthy. Happy cooking. Eat home-made food.
|Momo Achar/ dipping|